Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tanda of the Week 16 / 2014 - Pedro Laurenz (vals)


I have moved back to Berlin (!) after spending the winter in Barcelona. I had the pleasure of playing in two of the finest milongas in Barcelona, Aquelarre Tango and the 15th Anniversary of Milonga Casa Valencia. This friday, the 18th of April, I will be playing in La Yumba in Hamburg and on 30.04. in Parma and 01.05. in Modena in Italy. You can check out my tour dates here.

I have prepared a promotional letter for organizers of milongas, festivals, marathons and encuentros and if you'd like to hear me play in your area, I'd appreciate if you can pass this forward in your community! You can also subscribe to my DJ mailing list here or at the bottom of this post for updates on tour dates, some exclusive tandas and recommendations for milongas and music. Thank you. Now for the tanda of this week.

---------

1. Pedro Laurenz / Alberto Podestá - "Paisaje" 1943
2. Pedro LaurenzAlberto Fuentes - "María Remedios" 1942
3. Pedro Laurenz / Alberto Del Campo - "Caserón de tejas" 1943

 http://open.spotify.com/user/anttiveikko/playlist/1vgw4bqtOdHMyYyWuQa7m1Here are three beautiful valses from the orchestra of Pedro Laurenz with the three Albertos on vocals. The very classic "Paisaje" has been featured on the blog before in the tanda 23/2012.

http://www.deezer.com/playlist/840690571To my knowledge, "Caserón de tejas", which was composed by Sebastián Piana, was not recorded by other orchestras of the golden age than Laurenz, but for some reason (it's a beautiful song obviously) it was picked up later by many modern groups and singers in their repertoire. Just do a search on Spotify and you'll find version after version of the song as if it was one of the biggest classics comparable to a jazz standard. There is a version by Libertad Lamarque from 1942 but I don't know the exact date of the recording so can't say if Laurenz recorded it first of after.

"Maria Remedios" in my opinion is not an exceptional song but works well as a bridge between the two other valses. I still find it great to dance to and especially enjoy the short piano and bandoneon variacion almost at the end of the song.

Another song that I could use is "Temblando" but it was also on the previous Laurenz vals tanda on the blog and it is clearly more downtempo as well. Out of the small vals discography of Laurenz (which is missing "Flores del alma") we could also choose "Mascarita" or "Mendocina" but these two I find a lot more cheerful both in style and lyrics than the three more melancholic valses of this tanda.

Laurenz, Pedro - TOTW - Todo Tangotango.info - iTunes Store
Podestá, Alberto - TOTW - Todo Tango - tango.info - iTunes Store  



0 kommenttia:

Post a Comment