Friday, November 16, 2012

Tanda of the Week 44 / 2012 -
Juan D'Arienzo 1947-1950 instrumentals


1. Juan D'Arienzo - "La maleva" 1949
2. Juan D'Arienzo - "La catrera" 1949
3. Juan D'Arienzo - "Contra luz" 1947
4. Juan D'Arienzo - "El Marne" 1950

https://open.spotify.com/user/anttiveikko/playlist/0tA1NymkH0JUBWhhw8a9wKThis tanda is another one from the great Juan D'Arienzo. Straight forward, strong and very danceable. I believe I made this tanda originally to play the song "Contra luz" and while searching for songs to go with it I found the excellent D'Arienzo version of the classic "La maleva" from 1949. "La maleva" is an interesting composition that somehow starts very strong but in the end it kind of wanders off and loses some of it's dynamics (especially in the Troilo version in my opinion) and I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or if it just adds something to the peculiar qualities of this song. "La catrera" and "El marne" are also both classics that have been recorded by many orchestras and by also by D'Arienzo multiple times. The 1938 version of "La catrera" is more famous but I like this version almost just as much.

I think in the end the other three songs have more in common with each other than with "Contra luz" due to the classic melodies but the style of the songs stays similar through out the tanda and "Contra luz" spices it up with a heavier focus on the beat that D'Arienzo delivers like no one else. Enjoy!

EDIT: Due to the correct versions of La Catrera 1949 and El Marne 1950 missing from Spotify, for the playlist I had to use versions of these songs from 1955 and 1954.

D'Arienzo, Juan - TOTW - Todo Tango tango.info - iTunes Store

 

2 kommenttia:

  1. I really enjoyed this one... my dance partner and I have been using your site to practice with, and this was lovely! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete